Old 07-03-19, 10:40 AM
mvnsnd

Bikes: Factor O2, Caad10, Caad2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
Didn't put this in the 33 racer forum, it's not a race ride.

I'm talking about people doing whatever possible to filter through a group to get up front, then drifting back on hills. I'd totally see doing that in a race as a strategy.

But, this isn't a race. So, what's your opinions on this move for different types of group ride?

Regimented paceline: heck no, I would think
hammer or interval and regroup at stops: ????
fondos: ????

We've got someone doing this multiple times per group ride, to the extent they'll even go over the center yellow. And it's not just a filtering in anticipation of a hill to be in good position, it's in the last seconds before the hill and they'll run-up in a tuck or with power past the people pulling.

That's what you've got. What's your opinion? I feel the over the yellow is obviously bad, but what about the rest of it? When is that OK?

I thought I've heard people or seen it as actual advice for people before.

It's also at leaving stops. They do it there by jumping off quick.

Outside of a race, I find it annoying.
Over the yellow is just bad form and should be called out. As far as going to the front on hills, as long as it doesn't interfere with the group dynamic, it's Ok. If they get to the hill and then block others progress up, that's also bad. On a hammer ride, let him go. If their time at the front is only these occasions, then again, not good. The behavior should not disrupt the point of the group ride.

It really is a group dynamic thing. If the group is Ok with it, then fine. If his behavior is a safety issue, then it's not fine.