Old 10-29-19, 07:43 AM
FlippinFlags

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
I had some difficulties with my MSR filter on my last backpacking trip a couple months ago, I asked the other hikers what they were using, the majority said one of the Sawyer filters. (Mev above also suggested Sawyer.) A couple of them were using Sawyer filters with Evernew water bladders that had a thread pattern that matched the Sawyer filter.

I bought a Sawyer similar to the mini at the link below but the version I got was threaded at both ends for use with a gravity system.
https://sawyer.com/products/mini-filter/

I bought a couple Evernew bladders and a Sawyer Mini on Amazon. Tried it once with tap water, appears to work great. Have not tried it on a trip, but I suspect as long as you periodically backflush it, that it should work well. At the video at the above link, they mention backflushing it.

There was a thread on this forum some time back, someone did not backflush his sawyer, put it in storage, then months later took it on a trip and it did not function well. I ALWAYS test my gear before I take it on a trip, pitch the tent to inspect it, make sure my liquid fuel stove works (but I do not bother to test butane stoves), and test my water filter while at home.

If you are concerned about viruses, after you filter the water you could add a couple drops of Chlorine bleach per liter, let it sit a half hour. I usually skip the Chlorine but I carry a small one ounce bottle with a flip top dropper in case I have a reason to be concerned.

Some people swear by Steripens, I have never used one. You might want to research them too. I bought one for a trip, but never needed it on that trip. Have not carried it since.
I've been looking at the Steripen but it seems like 20% of them are faulty (Amazon reviews)..

I wasn't aware that chlorine bleach kills viruses... ALL?