View Single Post
Old 11-09-20, 02:14 AM
andychrist
Devil's Advocate

Bikes: Fuji Del Rey, Bacchetta Giro 20, RANS Stratus XP XL, RANS Stratus XP XXL, RANS Stratus LE XL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
There is the possibility of controlling one motor from the cranks (PAS or torque sense) and the other from the throttle. OR the two throttles can be 1/2 size and ganged together with a sleeve of some kind so they rotate together. I am better than most at using both hands together and separately being a trained concert organist and I wouldn't want to try a throttle in each hand. You'll probably end up just not using one or the other and I know what those motors weigh. Lugging one around for no good reason just doesn't make sense.
Well as I mentioned previously, the press-fit bottom bracket on my bike is incompatible with any PAS sensor that Bafang offers. Nor would I want to install anything like that at all since am intending only to use the assist on hills; would be a PITA having to turn the assist on and off throughout a ride by way of a button control. Absolutely no way to gang the two twists together, they’re angled almost 90º from each other on the RANS 3-way chopper bars (and I’d have no intention of doing so to begin with.) Not such a big deal rotating both [half] twists simultaneously, as they come in left and right iterations so operate symmetrically — it’s actually easier than just turning one while leaving the other hand in a fixed position (kinda like adjusting grips on the fly, you’d want them to mirror each other.) Only issue might be, as the weight on the Stratus is so heavily biased toward the rear, will likely have to adjust the two assist levels differently to find the sweet spot where the wheels pull evenly while I pedal. Anticipating a lot of experimentation!

P850C display I ordered for the right side handle bar/rear hub motor is at the PO and should be delivered this afternoon, so am hoping to complete the setup by evening. Will post results, if I survive.