Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 286 Posts
Fuji Cycle Center of NJ '80-'83
Suntour USA '85-'88
Suntour Japan '89-90
Trek Japan '90-'99
Fuji America '99-'01

Hey Jeff, Euro-Asia was my account at Suntour USA, and Bob Hansing would always call me in Jersey late in the day, and want his orders shipped to Cali the same day. We had a very surly warehouse mgr who'd make me pack/box my own pain-in-the-rear rush orders ("I don't care what Bob Hansing wants, I ain't packing it. If you want it out today, box it yourself."). One particular rush order I was low on boxes, UPS was waiting, so I packed 4 or 5 smaller boxes to get it out the door. Bob called me after the order arrived, "What idiot packed my order? Do you know how much extra I had to pay for all those boxes?!?" I said: "That idiot was me, Bob. That's what happens when you call me that late." There was silence for a bit, then "Oh....," no more yelling, no apology, but he start calling earlier in the day. RIP.

As for gomango's comment about janky bikes, I don't know if all ex-mechanics feel the same, but it's really, really hard for me to work up any excitement over anybody's post-'70ish heavy-azz steel-rim bike with cottered steel cranks, nutted hubs, extension levers, cheap-azz saddles and such. Doesn't matter how old it is, doesn't matter how clean it is, I built enough damn Fuji Sport 10s that those heavy sleds can not make my heart race. Don't get me wrong, all bikes are good bikes, and better to be riding a Sports 10 than not riding, and if a Sports 10 was all I could get my mitts on, I'd happily ride it. But those things themselves, on an enthusiasm scale of 1-10, well, they don't get very high on that scale for me.