Old 06-13-21, 11:05 AM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1508 Post(s)
Liked 3,480 Times in 1,133 Posts
Another Garner's alumnus here. I'm a little fuzzy on the dates after all these years but I worked for them very part time in the original location when they had just graduated from the shop in their mother's garage, maybe 1972?

Stanford Bike Co-op 1973-74? We rented a lot of bikes to Stanford students. At the job interview the owner of the shop handed me a paper bag containing all the parts of a completely torn down Sturmey Archer hub and asked me to assemble it. When I had no problem putting it back together he hired me on the spot... or at least that's how I remember it!

The Bicycle Center, Santa Cruz, CA 1977-1978. My introduction to working on top quality bicycles other than my own. We had frames from Hetchins, Hurlow, Eisentraut, Bruce Gordon, Main D'Or (Kessels), Mercian, Trek, Dean Hovey, and Keith Lippy; but our bread and butter was Centurion. We also sold mopeds so I worked on both bikes and mopeds.

Then worked as service manager for The Marvelous Moped in San Francisco while attending graduate school from 1978 to 1980.

Brent