View Single Post
Old 09-12-21, 09:56 AM
Kat12

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked 379 Times in 279 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I think it's the timing rather than the words that matter. I try to announce early enough so that if there's a startle response, they have time to adjust. It's also less startling than doing it when you're almost there already.

I say good morning after a startle response because I want to make clear I wasn't being hostile. They're usually apologizing at that point, and I think the show of goodwill is a good idea at that point.
I try to do it early, also, but I've been accused of having a quiet voice, and I find that's especially true outside. Then I have to decide: do I wait until I'm close enough to be audible at a reasonable "calling out" tone of voice (and not so far back that they move over and then wait... and wait...), or do I scream from further back and then the person gets mad because they think I'm being angry when in reality I'm just trying to be heard?

Originally Posted by himespau
Sidewalks are where I struggle. When my kids are with me, I try to get them to ride with me in the street because it's safer. When my wife rides with the kids, she tries to get them to all ride together (her too) on the sidewalk. I've tried explaining how the street (within our subdivision, not busy roads) is safer because its where cars are looking for other users and not whipping out of their driveways without looking at the sidewalk or crosswalk for fast moving things, but it's a fight I can't win and stopped having for the peace of our marriage.
But it's also where drivers are looking for *large* vehicles that are faster-moving than 10 mph (or less)... not narrow "vehicles" barely wider than a person, that together with their rider may weigh less than many pedestrians alone, are difficult to see above parked cars lining the side of the road (or impossible, if they're kids), may be hugging the side of the road where drivers aren't looking, may be very erratic (especially if kids), etc.

I mean, if drivers allegedly aren't seeing a bike slightly taller than a person and moving slightly faster on the sidewalk, then they're certainly not seeing a bike much smaller and slower than a car on a street.