View Single Post
Old 09-16-22, 06:30 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Back in 2021, I bought a 1989 Schwinn Circuit. It is a 22" (55-56cm) frame. I bought it because I was fascinate by both the frame itself (Candyapple red, Columbus main tubes, with chrome Tange Aero stays and fork) and the groupset (Shimano's Sante). It came with all the original parts, except for ONE of the black rubber nubs that go into the pivot bolts on the single-pivot brakes. I normally ride larger frames, 57-59cm, so it took a long seatpost and a 130mm stem to make it fit. Mostly.

The thing is, the bars are about 2 m lower than any of my other bikes, and I found that after long rides on it, especially if I do much riding in the drops, I get some lower back pain.

SO, I found a 23" (58cm) frame on Ebay. Same year, same color, etc. But this time, in my size. No fork, though, and obviously the fork from the 22" frame wouldn't fit. SO, I found a 24" 1988 Circuit frame and fork. That frame is a bit rough. Lots of rust spots on the top tube, etc. BUT the chrome fork will clean up nicely!

Here's my plan: Get the fork from the 24" cut down and threaded to fit the 23" frame, then swap all the components from the 22" frame onto the 23", recreating a completely authentic, but not original, 1989 Circuit in my size. And a really nice 22" frame.
Have you determined that the fork which will be cut down is the same length as the original fork that would have came with the 23" frame?(other than the longer steerer tube) I have a Tange 1 frame that had the fork swtiched out before I owned it for a chrome Tange Prestige fork. It's an upgrade and rides good, but now the TT is slightly sloping.

Last edited by seypat; 09-16-22 at 06:33 AM.