View Single Post
Old 01-22-08, 05:37 PM
k_tech

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've been a regular commuter in Knoxville, TN for about a year now. My usual route is 6 miles RT on an '86 Raleigh Technium. This time of year both directions of my commute are in the dark. I use a Cateye LED on steady for being seen and a halogen for actually seeing. Two LED blinkies on the rear, both typically in flashing mode, although I'm considering the merits of one flashing and one on steady. I'm not a fast cyclist. Average speed is about 12 mph. Half of my commute in either direction is uphill (over Sharp's ridge on Bruhin for the locals) at a pretty decent climb. Couldn't tell you the grade percentage though. I ride vehicularly and predictably with practically no problems. This is not a place people are used to seeing bicyclists (I might have seen one or two this entire time I've been riding) but I feel that I present myself as someone cautious yet courteous and safe. I also wear a reflective lime green vest, with reflective bands on my ankles and reflectors and reflective tape in multiple locations on my bike. And a helmet. Always. I work in emergency services so I've seen what sometimes happens when people aren't safe. I've worked (and know of) many car vs. bike wrecks where a cyclist was riding on the sidewalk and cut off, or riding against traffic. So I take every precaution. Despite being a safety freak, or maybe because of, I really enjoy my rides (even in 11 degrees like this past week.) I choose my routes carefully and avoid the roads where I know drivers tend to be especially aggressive, impatient and reckless. I figure it's worth going a little of my way to have a less stressful ride.

Last edited by k_tech; 01-22-08 at 05:44 PM. Reason: forgetfulness
Likes For k_tech: