Old 05-21-20, 07:50 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by stampz
Thanks to everyone who has responded so far. This is one of the things I have been considering, I think I want like a more racier geometry..I wouldn't be replacing the Allez, this would be "as well as", also I didn't mention it, but I will be taking full advantage of the cycle to work scheme, so in that regard a new bike is easier than upgrading components :-)
What kind of tire clearance does your Allez have and what kind/size of tires are you running? You're a bigger guy, about my size, and if you're not running/can't run at least 28mm tires, that would be a really worthwhile change. Again, it may not consistently show up on the stopwatch, especially on shorter rides, but being able to runs lower pressure tires increases comfort, decreases fatigue (which helps performance), and is faster on real-world roads where the suspension losses of smaller tires puts them at a disadvantage.

Also, you say that you want to move to a racier geometry. IIRC the Allez Elite isn't particularly sluggish in the geo, is it? A little taller stack than a lot of straight-up race bikes, but would you be able to take advantage of decreased stack? IOW, are you running a slammed stem right now and you could comfortably ride even lower for extended periods of time?