View Single Post
Old 04-30-21, 01:49 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Tubular wheels for Mrs. Peel are mostly cleaned up. The butterknife trick worked really well on the rear wheel to remove the old glue, but the front wasn't quite as crunchy. I need to get me some mineral spirits.

The rear is built for a freewheel, not a cassette, so I got a 13-26, which gives me a lower gear than I have with the clincher rims - at least till that 26t cog I ordered arrives. I installed it and then checked to see how it shifted, and discovered I'll have to reset my limit screws when I swap wheels. It wouldn't shift onto the biggest cog, and then it overshot the smallest. . I ended up dropping the wheel out to get the chain back out.

Tubular tape arrived last night. Tubulars to arrive today. I guess the first thing to do is to stretch them onto the rims and blow them up, right? Second COVID jab today, so I hope I'm up for it!
Yeah, mount them on rims and pump up. I don't think you need to go to full pressure; just enough to be round. You can leave them like that for months, or years. Or days.