View Single Post
Old 05-19-21, 06:11 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Someone else mentioned it but I think it’s the key. If you ride in an area where you are prone to picking up debris which cause flats on road rides then tubeless would be my choice.

The roads where I normally ride are very clean as we are riding in the actual road. Vehicles tires do a good job of keeping the asphalt very clean. I rarely flat around home so I’ve stayed with tubes. However I’ve ridden a lot out west where I’ve ridden a lot on the shoulders.

When I rode across the US I was in the shoulders most of the time. I flatted a LOT. Interestingly probably none of those flats would have occurred if I’d been tubeless. All except one of my flats were from the small wires off steel belted radial tires. They even penetrated Gatorskins. I had one snake bite pinch flat which wouldn’t have occurred if I’d been tubeless.

I currently have a set of tubeless wheels where I run tubes. The tires are seated on there so tightly I can’t break the bead from the depression where it sits even with tire tools. I have to use a set of pliers to pull the bead towards the center of the rim to change a tube. One of my friends can easily remove the tire but his hands are stronger.

Good luck with your decision!