Old 06-20-21, 11:29 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4399 Post(s)
Liked 4,844 Times in 2,997 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Whew, a little expensive. But, it does look like it is nicely made, and has endured two kids, and perhaps can be passed to some more kids in the future.

I will be curious whether the kids evolve to 100% pedal powered as they get into their later teens and twenties. But, if both parents pedal, that will make a difference.

Do you do any flatter road riding? Commuting?
Yes, eye-wateringly expensive! But it works and better than having a bike that isn't ridden much. Having two kids 3 years apart makes it easier to justify as you get approx 6 years of use out of the bike and high quality kids bikes here in the UK actually have a decent used value.
I don't think the kids themselves actually think much about the power assistance. So when they get stronger, they may just naturally move back to non-powered bikes. I guess we will see in due course!

Our local road riding is all rural rolling hills. No really big climbs, but almost no flats at all. It actually makes riding quite tough. I'm the only one in the family that actually rides on the road. My wife hates riding in traffic and is therefore 100% mtb. The girls are the same and to be honest I would fear for their safety out on these roads. They are narrow and fast with loads of blind bends. I use a Garmin Varia for early warning, but I'm always a bit wary of road riding myself and feel much safer off-road. At least when you go off-road your accidents are all your own! Fortunately we have some nice trail rides, so road riding can be avoided if you choose.