View Single Post
Old 06-22-21, 06:31 PM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
Havent gotten to do the new Maybrook yet, and it is more out in the hills but the only conflicts I'm aware of on the Putnam line were with coyotes down in Yonkers, typically in early spring denning season or rabid.

Haven't heard much of bears there, but human habitation is no issue - they're in residential neighbourhoods here in Western MA though I'm yet to see one. Each of the previous two years I've seen them riding the trail through CT's Farmington Valley which is as dense as upper Westchester, but a pocket few acres of woods were enough for a bear to cross rt 10 at the Simsbury/Avon line and be strolling down the trail as I happened by.

He wasn't too impressed by my bell or "hey bear bear bear" but then a guy came the other way on a riding leaf blower.

Mostly the problem would be surprising a bear. One who knows you're there and doesn't care probably isn't an issue unless you get offside with respect to cubs. So human noises like talking are good, if you want to go all out in isolated stretches a back country MTB motion ringing trail bell wouldn't hurt. Don't bomb curvy descents at dawn or dusk, but that's as much for the sake of people. Bring and use lights for the same reason - bring lights even if you plan to be done long before dark. Rural dark is a whole different level of dark from urban greenway dark...

I recall relatively few phone dead spots on the Putnam, the Maybrook twisting through more remote hills could have more. Also have a specific idea where you're getting water if you ride beyond your carrying capacity.

In terms of real danger, think deer.

Also quite a few squirrels and chimpmunks zig zag avoidance of what their reflexes label avian predators bring them under wheels, and in the spokes that could really ruin your day.

Last edited by UniChris; 06-22-21 at 06:53 PM.