View Single Post
Old 07-17-21, 07:16 AM
Warbird21

Bikes: Salsa Warbird

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 163 Times in 85 Posts
With temps in the mid to high 90's lately here in Maryland, I questioned the need to wear a helmet on the C&O canal, which is pretty decently graveled. I've been having issues with sweat running into my eyes (and contact lens) on these hot rides. I see a lot of canal riders sans helmet in this weather.
Last week, I rode 30 miles, its all straight line, and I average around 15.5 mph. I was on a new to me stretch, where it dipped down into a culvert, then made a sharp left at the top of the short dip. I entered going full tilt (for me..) and then realized the trail veered sharply to the left. I had my hands on the hoods and just barely grabbed enough rear brake to stop me before I exited at the top of the dip, which dropped down 3' into a culvert. I simply wasn't paying attention. I felt foolish enough to look around and make sure no one saw this gaffe. (no one around...whew) I was darn glad to not end up in the culvert, but sure would not want to get there without my helmet. So, it stays on no matter the temp. On my brothers recommendation, I did order a sweat-wicking skull cap to wear under my helmet. Hopefully it keeps the sweat out of my eyes.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B093GBGKPD...roduct_details