View Single Post
Old 08-10-21, 01:17 AM
tallbikeman

Bikes: Modified 26 inch frame Schwinn Varsity with 700c wheels and 10 speed cassette hub. Ryan Vanguard recumbent. 67cm 27"x1 1/4" Schwinn Sports Tourer from the 1980's. 1980's 68cm Nishiki Sebring with 700c aero wheels, 30 speeds, flat bar bicycle.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 102 Posts
Nick on a bike, Earlier I tried to sell the used bike approach but upon rereading your posts I realized you are open to modifications to your LHT. I have found that one of the easiest ways to speed up a bike is to mount a good quality low spoke count aero wheel set. At your weight you have to be careful when checking the specifications for wheels. Your LHT may have rim brakes so be aware that good carbon aero wheel sets can be had that have rim brake tracks. I see all kinds of aero 700c wheel sets for sale on our local Craigslist for cheaper than new. I'm 6'5" at 265lbs and ride a early 80's Nishiki Sebring with a 69cm seatpost tube CtoC. I bought this bike for $35(Craigslist) and got rid of the 27"wheels and worn out hubs, changed the crank to a 180mm Raceface MTB triple, aluminum seatpost and straight bars. I'm not a fan of drop bars. The wheel set is a Vuelta 700c SL37 aero set. This bike cost way less than a thousand dollars, is my fastest bike by 2-4mph average speed and fits me the best of all the bikes I've had over the years. Because of our heights and weights it is hard to find really tall bikes that give us good cockpit room, and keep your feet, size 14 for me, out of the front wheel when turning. I also use 32mm Gatorskin tires and tubes.