View Single Post
Old 05-27-20, 11:48 AM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,290 Times in 743 Posts
Originally Posted by KC8QVO
Ive set up my hammock once on the ground. The reason was we were at a park somewhere where there was a clearing where we were set up in (ham radio Field Day) and the only trees were either in thick brush/weeds/poison ivy outside the clearing or across a road. So I opted for testing out the ground-pitching.

I had some military tent poles for use as antennas or mast sections so I grabbed 4 of them and put 2 on each end. Then I stretched 2 guy lines off each one plus the hammock as the third between both poles.

You definitely want a ground cover and pads are the only way to go on the ground.

Aside from that, there is no difference between a hammock and a tent as far as setting up on the ground goes - you're on the ground. That is the biggest benefit to a hammock - that you are off the ground. But, in a pinch, you can set up on the ground.

I have been looking for ways to hang when there aren't any trees. I like the bike set up as a partial support. However, that doesn't seem high enough. If the ground slopes I suppose it could work better.

The ground anchors are one concern - what will hold up to the tension and not loosen up over-night? Or if the ground is dry then it rains over-night and loosens up - are you going to hit the ground?

The upright supports are the other concern. The uprights are going to transfer some force down. Without a wide foot print to spread out that load on dirt the supports (in the case of a pole, lets say) will push the poles in to the ground - loosening up the hammock suspension.

For ground-dwelling in a hammock - if you are going to be confined to that - perhaps riding around to find some wood long enough to get you 2 poles would be worth-while. That way you can get some extra height. That is as opposed to the bike and wheel method in the OP.

My A frame tent is a good example of the extra height - it is OK to lay down in, but as an adult and trying to lean up to get dressed etc the tent is too short for one, and for two the sides angling up to the peak mean there isn't any shoulder room in there. I took it on my first backpacking trip with temps below freezing at night. Between that with frost and some mornings with a lot of dew - you end up getting cold and wet from the condensation once you bump the tent. So higher and more room is important. Same goes for the hammock. If you can get the bug netting up away from you that will give you a good a mount of room there (considering the confines of a hammock, usually). Then if your tarp is hung higher and you have some room to partially stand up outside of the netting, or at least kneel on the ground with your back straight, that will help tremendously - especially if its raining and you need to cook or you're getting up in the morning to get dressed.

The two types of anchors I mentions will work fine, and support the weight. They are used by many who use the Tensa system to hang hammocks. As for the hammock being too low, that is why I tested it in the yard. I was able to lay in the hammock without touching the ground. Ideal? No. Better than sleeping not he ground? Yes, much. Once in, you can't tell you are, "too low," it just feels like you are in the hammock. The only real issue is the tarp is much lower and it is more difficult to crawl under to get into the hammock.

I was only looking for a solution to hang when there was only one tree or pole, without adding a lot of additional weight. The only thing I need is two straps, which I generally have on tour anyway. I have some lighter, and still strong tie down straps I take. They are made to tie down loads on trailers, motorcycles, etc., and I trust them completely. I have used them many times to hang my hammock when I needed extra length, and actually used them for a while on a ship to hang a different hammock in my cabin. I didn't like the mattress, so I slept in a hammock instead.

Here are the Orange Screws: https://www.amazon.com/Orange-Screw-...0600358&sr=8-2

Boomstakes are found here. They also sell Orange Screws. https://www.tensaoutdoor.com/product/anchors/
Likes For phughes: