View Single Post
Old 07-29-21, 12:58 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18373 Post(s)
Liked 4,508 Times in 3,351 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
For US drivers, single lane roundabouts aren't horrible. Just short of horrible.
Two lane roundabouts are a menace for everyone. Too many US drivers don't do yield, slow, merge or common courtesy. We're lucky if they're even looking at the road.
I actually detest the single lane roundabouts. They just seem so pointless. Often little more than putting a planter in the middle of the street where once there was a stop sign.

The two lane ones seem a little more logical.

I do think the best place for a round-a-bout is whenever there is more than say 2 streets intersecting. So, you've got an extra street branching out (5 or 6 total branches).

Originally Posted by canklecat
Another oddity I've seen in recent years, especially in Texas, is the sudden rightward swerve the moment the driver ahead taps the brakes. I see it so often I'm wondering whether this is some weird thing they're learning in drivers ed, or some sort of word-of-mouth thing concocted by the internet. But anytime I'm in traffic and there's a slowdown -- whether on the highways, two-or-three-lane boulevards, single lane residential streets with shoulders, bike lanes or curbside parking -- someone will swerve right into the shoulder/bike lane/etc., rather than simply not tailgating and braking carefully. I suspect some drivers have "learned it" the same way some kids "learned" to ride bikes against traffic, and continue that practice into adulthood: because their parents, grandparents or teachers told them so, albeit incorrectly.
I haven't thought about that much, but I have learned to think of an "escape" when emergency braking. That wouldn't apply to ordinary traffic though.

And, of course, planning one's stop so nobody is actually harmed.
Likes For CliffordK: