Old 08-21-21, 03:28 AM
1incpa

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by carpediemracing
Thanks. Yes, the regular Sat and Tues, or as the case may be now, the Tues (24th) and Sat (28th).

Having never done this before, is it normal to bring, say, a work stand? I have a folding Park one, as well as a much lighter, more compact fork/BB mount one (Blackburn TrakStand). I find it a bit awkward to change cogs or wheels without hanging the nose of the saddle on something. In NEV the cars are 50 feet from the track so I just do stuff at the car.

I assume my tools, cogs, rings, pump, wheels (I have 2-3 rears, 2-3 fronts, but really I use one front, one of two rears, and I'll have a spare front). A lawn chair or two. Rollers (I only have a regular size folding set, Kreitler plastic drum ones).

Jeepers this is a lot of stuff.

I'll need to go wagon shopping tomorrow. If it comes to it I could use a hand cart dolly thing. Or a rolling bag / toolbox / cooler with stuff on top of it. Hm maybe a rolling cooler that I can sit on. We could use it for regular races too.

I'd be racing Cat 4-5 and possibly M45, although that's highly unlikely. Not quite M55 at this time. I'm lacking any semblance of endurance and will struggle in the 3 km races. I'm still a 4 on the track.

Finally, and I know this is individual, but what kind of gear ranges do people use? I tend to use larger gears as I'm lacking pedal finesse and I'm also running 170 cranks. Last Tues at NEV I ran a 97 (54x15) and it seemed pretty reasonable, although I seemed to get to a power-cadence ceiling with that gear, at a speed much lower than I would hit on the road bike (32-33 mph - on the road I'm good at higher speeds, but I am much, much slower on the track). I started the night on a 104 (54x14) and that seemed high, too high, so I switched to the 15 for the actual races.
Some folks do bring work stands. I just lean my bike against something, or hang the handlebar over a railing to change my gears.

As far as a chair, if you get a spot in one of the "stalls" there is a bench in each one. If you choose to sit under the big tent, there are chairs. But it's not guaranteed that you'll get one. I usually throw a camp chair in my car just in case.

My usual race kit is: Bike with warm-up wheels, race wheels, gear/tool bag which lives in my backpack, a pump, full sized Kreitlers, a water jug and a small cooler for food. If I need it there's a camp chair in the car along with a spare pair of shoes.

It adds up. I try to take the minimum, but some people bring everything but the kitchen sink into the infield.

Gearing is all over the place. I tend towards smaller gears, a 92 or 94. But there are guys who regularly run 100 inch gears. So whatever you're comfortable with will work fine.

I won't be there on Tuesday, but I'll see you on Saturday. I'll be the old guy on the orange Tiemeyer, come say hi! It's always a fun day of racing!
Likes For 1incpa: