View Single Post
Old 09-30-22, 02:15 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4830 Post(s)
Liked 7,820 Times in 3,704 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Yeah, that was one problem I had with Wahoo SYSTM - there were visuals, but they weren't tied to my pedaling. I used to ride without visuals apart from cadence and HR on my head unit, using a dumb trainer, but I could barely last 40 minutes, and that was with loud rock music on earbuds (B52s have a nice fast beat for 90+ cadence).

Then I set up at home with my laptop running YouTube videos through the TV in the garage, and that made a big difference. I could ride a lot longer with less concentration. One set of videos I found showed the gradient, which allowed me to mimic it with gear changes. I also found a local rider's videos, taken on a number of roads I ride all the time. Since I know what each segment feels like, I adjusted my gears and effort to match.

Then I got on Zwift, initially with the dumb trainer and ZPower, but later with a smart trainer and that's WAY better. So much more like riding IRL. I've done 2+ hours on Zwift without significant distress. Mind you, my cousin's kid (Kid? He's in his 40s!) did a Century on Zwift.
Similarly I started with just a timer and loud music, then Zwift with a dumb trainer, then a smart trainer. I think my longest Zwift ride is about 2 hours. Usually I'm working in a smaller time window and 1 hour is all I can squeeze in.