View Single Post
Old 10-01-21, 01:28 PM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, '20 Kona Sutra (FOR SALE 48cm), '21 Simon-Bikes mini-velo and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
Originally Posted by Falconista
I have never ridden a mini velo. What is it about them that people like? I assumed that they rode like a folding bike but without the flexibility of actually folding.
One advantage of mini-velos that people cite is that a non-folding bicycle is inherently stiffer than a folding one.

I like my folding bicycle, but I decided to try a mini-velo anyway. The advantage that I see in them is the latitude for design variety. Folding bicycles are mostly made up of a small number of designs that are OEMed to whoever wants to re-brand them. There are a wider variety of mini-velo designs because they're easier to design and manufacture.

I wanted a mini-velo that has chainstays long enough to afford regular pannier use. I examined every photo that exists on the internet for the one with the longest chainstays. What I found was more expensive and a little more difficult to get than what the OP was looking for (thus I didn't mention it). It's the frame developed by Simon-Bikes. Hopefully I'll have it built up by this Spring (if not sooner).