View Single Post
Old 11-30-21, 05:27 PM
rholland1951

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 1,696 Times in 872 Posts
Took the new-old 1982 Sequoia out for a ride on the Minuteman about an hour before sunset, temperatures toppling out of the 40s and plummeting into the 30s.

Saw lots of funny bikes, most of them electrical; this one can stand for all the rest.

Seen but not shown was the mismatched pair on bike and unicycle, riding two abreast and chatting amiably, no batteries required.

Before I set out, I put a tiny carbon fiber bicycle pump in the Sequoia's saddle bag, next to the spare tube. This is a departure for me: frame pumps are the norm, but there's no peg on the Sequoia, and I figured the little pump would accord with the general weight-weenie build of this bike. I was cranking down the hill in Arlington, making good time, when the rear end began to shimmy in a manner that was arguably aesthetic but none of my doing. I prudently stopped the bike and had a look: sure enough, the rear tire was flat. I walked the bike to the nearest likely spot to fix the tire, which turned out to be the back yard of The Bike Stop, which had a very helpful sign that said FLATS FIXED WHILE YOU WAIT. I reflected that I could test the little pump on a warmer, brighter day, found my mask and put it on, and walked the bike into the shop to be fixed while I waited. And it was. Thanks, guys!

It's close enough to being Winter to start noticing the Friends of the Lexington Bikeway's charitable solicitations. These are the folks who keep the Lexington segment of the Minuteman plowed, and generally do a good job of it, to boot. While it's true that the taxpayers of Arlington and Bedford pay for it there, Lexington does things a little differently. If you ride the Minuteman in Winter, it's good to throw a few bucks in when they pass the hat. Extra credit if your phone's QR reader can get to their site off this image, scanned from your PC display. Or you can cheat, and use the URL.

rod

Last edited by rholland1951; 12-01-21 at 07:19 AM.
Likes For rholland1951: