Old 12-07-21, 10:57 AM
gecho

Bikes: 2009 Trek 520

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 130 Posts
Experimenting with DIY heated gloves I can now see why a lot of them tend to be a heavy gauntlet style as that's the most practical location for the batteries. I wanted to be able to layer or use with bar mitts so I made a pair of thin heated gloves with the batteries separate.

Having the batteries separate you run into all sorts of issues.
  • Difficult to plug them in while wearing them (I'm tempted to track down some magnetic connectors)
  • Have to unplug them when you take them off unless you add a jacket cuff tether
  • Excess cable poking out in order to have it long enough to be able to put them one while plugged in (cable could snag on branches etc)
Battery placement in itself is a challenge. I found they flopped around too much on my jacket sleeve so I put them inside my jacket and ran extension cables through the inside of the sleeves. I have the controllers separate from the battery, currently they are velcro attached at the cuff but I could put them with the batteries. I've got 2 different controllers I'm trying at the moment, one is the 3 setting push button, and the other something I slapped together from a PWM dial motor controller.
Likes For gecho: