Old 09-29-22, 02:59 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6976 Post(s)
Liked 10,975 Times in 4,695 Posts
Originally Posted by Gear_Admiral
I cannot spot a $6,000 bike from a $3,000 bike in a line-up
If you can't recognize the difference between a $3k bike and a $6k bike, then why on Earth would you write a long post about how you've seen irresponsible college students bring $5,000 bikes to campus? You don't even know what they look like. (I think this is called "talking out of your ass.")

Originally Posted by Eric F
Last week, as I was helping my daughter move into her freshman dorm, I saw a very nice Specialized MTB get unloaded from a pickup truck
Originally Posted by prj71
Local high school kids that are on the MTB race team (NICA) have $5k bikes...more than likely purchased by parents. Then they will take these $5k bikes with them to college.
Read my post and cool your jets; I never wrote that college students never bring expensive bikes to campus -- I wrote that I can't recall ever seeing it in over 40 years (5 campuses). I suspect it is very rare, and probably limited to certain (expensive) colleges and universities...And the relative few that have cycling teams.

The nicest bike I ever saw on a college campus belonged to some freshman who sent me an email asking if he could join the local group ride. He showed up on his dad's Trek road bike, which was a mid-level hand-me-down --and then he thoroughly thrashed us and kept thrashing us for four years. He once thrashed me on his $500 fixie while wearing sneakers and cutoffs. (I was on my fancy road bike and wearing full kit.) Now he's wearing the WC Rainbow stripes, so I guess it worked out for him.