Old 11-21-22, 08:37 AM
heidelbergensis 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 46 Posts
Buyer of the frameset here! Thanks especially to the seller, who was very kind to provide all the images and information above.

Very happy with the purchase, though I'm still trying to figure out what to do with the frame - build it up immediately, or, since the condition in my opinion warrants it, proceed with a "Weiglesque" conversion to 650b with canti studs, etc. As is typical with "bike boom" Raleighs, the lugwork needs some (read: a lot) of attention, at which point I would also just have various braze-ons added, as well, as I'm personally not a big fan of all the clamp-on elements a period-correct build would require. It also doesn't help that I have two other touring frames from the 70s with equal allure, one of which (an Eisentraut) also needs some attention from a framebuilder.

Nevertheless, there's just some kind of allure to Raleighs of this period though, I can't quite put my finger on it. The tire clearances with the tapered chain stays and Davis sloping crown fork are quite insane - this frame makes 32c tires look like 23s. No I just need a mink blue MK.II Professional and a chartreuse International from the same period to complete my Raleigh stable!

Last edited by heidelbergensis; 11-21-22 at 08:39 AM. Reason: Typos