Old 07-06-21, 01:24 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
We have run multiple races at different car/motorcycle race tracks over many years. They are great venues.

I ran one at the Blackhawk Raceway Farms in South Beloit. Another team started it before me. I took over in year 10 or 11 because their team could no longer get the volunteers or have the $. I ran it for 2 years I believe and then passed it off to another small team to give them a race to run that was super easy to do. Then pandemic hit and that team isn't really around anymore so I might have to step in and save it again.

Bonuses to racing on a car track:
  1. The turns are wide and sweeping and can be done at any speed a bike can achieve.
  2. The pavement is in amazingly good shape.
  3. There is usually a built in communication system that can be easily tapped into for course management
  4. PA and announcing system.
  5. On site medical or ambulance/medics
  6. Welcoming to new riders
  7. easier to control the course with fewer people.
Things that suck about racing on a car track
  1. Availability - We always have to book the race super early in the year before the car and moto races get going. That makes our race a crap shoot with regard to weather.
  2. Turns are too far open - with nothing technical to eliminate weaker or less experienced riders it becomes a veritable crash fest in the lower categories. I've seen riders on the ground seizing at this course. I have seen riders hit the deck and have their head rolled over. We have processed more than a few concussions there.
  3. With it being the first race of the year and a wide open non-technical course people just do weird things and corners that shouldn't be a problem all of a sudden become a problem.
  4. Cost - by far the most expensive race I have ever put on. The track alone was something like $4k or $6k for the day. Medics (required by the site) were like $300/ea and 2 required.

Likes For Psimet2001: