View Single Post
Old 07-27-13, 10:03 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Our out-of-town visitors have a tandem back home, and it turns out they liked the idea of riding today. So they rented a tandem from Bikeway Source and we rode the MM into Alewife and back. This brings today's total to 42.23 miles!

Almost had a head-on collision with another bike as we were leaving Alewife. Due to some lack of concentration in a tight pack (I think) she swerved into our side of the path. So I aimed further over to our right, intending to run onto the grass. Except she panicked and swerved even further over. I had millisecond visions of our tandem t-boning her, a truck hitting a compact car. It would not have been pretty. I can still see her brains scattered across the pavement. So I just squeezed the brakes as hard as I could and she did the same. We came to a stop with our front wheels about three inches apart.

After we'd both regained out balance I asked "What the hell are you doing?" She was extremely apologetic. She knew she'd screwed up. I don't think it struck her at that time just how close she came to being severely hurt, not to mention us too. Maybe it dawned on her a minute or two later. Whew.