Old 04-28-20, 03:43 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1341 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
My wife and I started racing in 2007. After over 10 race days per year until 2020, there was only a few races that we did not both race and that was generally due to one of being sick or injured.

I have raced with the men in mass start and team events as well as time trial and she has done the same with the women. I think some of the most rewarding races is where she and I raced together as a team either on the tandem in time trials or that totally fun mass start UCI road race in Tahiti that we did on the tandem against over 100 other tandems.

She and I did a two person 3k team pursuit at Carson for a LAVRA. We had to get “special” approval from USAC since a team pursuit must have 3 people. And we have done two person 20k time trials on Fiesta Island.

And she has joined me and a couple of other men to ride 4 person 4K team pursuit at Carson.

Last year, we raced Fiesta Island 20k TTT as a two person time trial. Those are really fun races.

I think my two best performances, sprinting, were winning the CA state championship in my age group in the 500 meters. In 2015, I won it in NorCal and in 2016, I won in SoCal. It is hard to win back to back individual anything and in both districts was special.

And my wife and I have raced internationally and around the USA. We raced the World Track Championships in Anadia Portugal in 2010. And we have raced US nationals in TX, PA, NC, CO, WA and UT. And my wife and I made record attempts at Aguascalientes Mexico on the indoor velodrome. She has 3 WR and I have zero. Oh well, husband of....

One of the most rewarding things that I did was volunteering to help with a team pursuit program that a promoter started for women with the goal of taking 15 women to elite track nationals. My wife was a participant and was on a women’s team. I showed up at training and practice events and helped out. And I was responsible for getting sponsors.

We put 54 women through the program and it was a huge success for USAC at the event and for the women. And the 15 that made it, won a lot of medals and a couple of championships.

2020 may end up being a bust due to the pandemic but we continue to solder on and look forward to maybe something this year and certainly next year. Be well.
Likes For Hermes: