Old 10-31-20, 08:53 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 182 Posts
If you want to read people rail about Walmart bikes there are plenty of posts on this site. This $149 bike is a moot point as like most entry level bikes it is “out of stock” at Walmart. There are going to be several problems with buying a $150 bike. How well was it assembled? The assemblers at Walmart may have zero ability when it comes to bike mechanics. Case in point, the Scout who showed up at one of my cycling merit badge rides with a brand new Walmart bike. I had neither the time nor inclination to go through the bike except for safety features like adequate brakes and steering. The cranks fell off within the first two miles of the ride. The assembler hadn't tightened them well. The bike weighed half the kid's weight. By the following ride three weeks later he was on his third Walmart bike. He didn't complete either ride or the merit badge. After two rides (both interrupted) he never again rode a bike with us on any subsequent bike activities. It was a great way to turn off a kid to cycling!

If you buy one of these ultra cheap bikes, be prepared to go through it completely. Make sure it was assembled correctly. That includes disassembling parts that have bearings to be sure they were properly lubricated and adjusted. When you buy a bike manufactured, and shipped from China, assembled here, and still allowing for profit for Walmart, don't expect quality, long lasting components on the bike.

If you are extraordinarily lucky you can find some quality used bikes but with the shortage they are few and far between. I own a good quality Cannondale bike that I bought for $20 at a thrift store. It is about 27 years old but still a beautiful ride. BTW anyone riding a bike with 20 year old tires is really pushing it from a safety issue. No tire was designed to hold up that long even if stored under the best of conditions. Sidewalls get less flexible and the tire cord ages.
Likes For VegasTriker: