View Single Post
Old 12-27-20, 02:10 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3462 Post(s)
Liked 1,468 Times in 1,145 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
once I finally took the time and practiced aligning etc, things were less finicky. I still find it does take good eyesight to make the teeny adjustment sometimes to make sure rotor is well aligned, and to eyeball pad adjustments on both side.
gotta get the reading glasses on
I built up my Lynskey in spring 2017, never used disc before. Everybody was telling me that for touring I needed a BB7 because that was what touring bikes all had at that time. But, I liked the concept of the TRP Spyre pushing both pads inwards by the same amount a lot more than the concept of one pad moving, one pad stationary and flexing the rotor. So bought the Spyre. I find it is amazingly easy to adjust it. But, I worked as a bike mechanic before I got my engineering degree. And I did all my own maintenance on my assorted Triumph motorcycles, so I probably had a better idea than most amateurs on how to set up a new disc brake.

And, I did something most unusual, I read the instructions. That is where I learned that I should use compressionless brake housing, which I did.

I bought a used wheel as a second wheel for that bike. And the two discs are slightly different in thickness, so I have to adjust cable tension slightly when I swap wheels, but I find it is amazingly simply to eyeball the gap between each pad and rotor to make sure that both gaps are about equal. And yes, reading glasses help. When I do that indoors I shine a flashlight on the floor so when I sight the gap, the gap is easier to see with brighter floor past the gap.