Old 07-07-21, 05:30 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 878 Posts
Originally Posted by rr99
nomadmax,

Thanks a lot for your response. For instance, if I change the fork and install one with a longer steerer tube, will the drop from saddle to handlebar be less painful?
Additionally, the top tube size is 56cm and the current stem lenght is 9cm which is short for me. I would like to replace it with a 11cm deda newton stem.

My previous road bike was Merida Scultura (56cm) compact geometry, with a slight larger head tube (17cm). It was perfect for me.
I don't think you completely understand the rabbit hole you're trying to go down. Here are a couple things you'll need to know before you can source another fork.

From your current fork:

Axle to crown measurement
Rake
Trail
Steerer tube diameter
Steerer tube diameter @ crown race
Steerer tube composition (aluminum or carbon, carbon will require a compression plug in lieu of a star nut)

If you're buying used you'll have to hope it's in the condition the seller says it is and has never had an impact. If you're buying new your choices may be limited. As far as spacers go, I won't use more than 35mm on a steel or aluminum steerer tube and no more than 25mm on carbon. The internet is filled with people who have, up to this point, used more spacers safely. However, I never shed a tear when my hair went but I'm taking these teeth to the grave. As I said, in my opinion I wouldn't entertain replacing the fork, stems come in all lengths and angles and you can certainly save a lot of heart ache and money by heading that direction. I hope you get it sorted out to your satisfaction.