View Single Post
Old 04-20-22, 07:02 AM
noimagination

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 248 Posts
Originally Posted by walnutz
I have multiple Brooks saddles. I do the over side and underside when I get them and then never think about it again. No issues.
Prepare for a million different opinions.
Basically what I did, though I did apply another thin coat of proofhide a couple of years after I got the saddle. I don't think the saddle really needed it. I also tightened the tension bold 1/8 of a turn or so though, again, I don't think that was really needed. If you ride in the rain a lot without fenders, maybe you need to treat the saddle more often, but otherwise the initial proofhide treatment seems to be enough. Perhaps riding in the desert would dry the leather out and periodic treatment would be required? I don't know, I'm just speculating.

Back in the day, you would see bikes with leather saddles that were cracked and the skirts were shrunken and distorted (almost parallel to the ground). Those were usually either cheap leather saddles and/or were on "outdoor bikes" that were stored outside. I haven't seen one of those in decades. People who go to the trouble of getting a leather saddle nowadays are people who store their bike(s) properly and, if the saddle does get soaked, dry it properly.
Likes For noimagination: