View Single Post
Old 06-16-22, 10:42 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1391 Post(s)
Liked 1,852 Times in 1,066 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
I only went to a couple big outdoor races and a bunch of supercross events. I went to the USGP at Carlsbad 3 times. Such a fun place, you could bring an ice chest and lawn chairs and set up anywhere around the track. I think the first time was 1971.

I also went to Saddleback once. It was a national event when they had 500cc, 250cc, and 125cc all on the same day. I think it was the last race there before the whole place was turned into a housing development. Same thing happened to Carlsbad.

Just remembered I went to an outdoor race in Las Vegas but I don't remember if it was called a national. I just remember Bob Hannah dragging his handlebar in the turns.
The elimination of the 125 class signaled the death of 2 stroke bikes (and in some ways a slow death to motocross for the masses)

Recall one year Ron Lechien (?) had a factory liquid cooled 125 Yamaha - might have been the first liquid cooled motocross bike we saw ... and can't be positive - but it might have been a twin cylinder

Not long after this - liquid cooled RM125's began to appear ... Mark Barnett rode one - he was so much faster during qualifying at a Mid Ohio GP the officials thought they had a timing malfunction (they ran qualifying laps at the international GP races)

good times

Last edited by t2p; 06-16-22 at 10:46 AM.