Old 03-18-20, 05:40 PM
taras0000
Lapped 3x

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Morelock
This may be super random and off topic... not sure who/where to ask though.

I've been making some parts lately (carbon/kevlar) that will end up load bearing (narrow drop handlebars, aero extensions, stem/bar combos, etc... you know, not parts you want to fail) I'm definitely not a newbie with composites generally (automotive) but most of that requires a fair bit less stringent testing.

So, besides sending parts off to be tested (I know one German company that does so but it doesn't really make sense for basically 1 offs) what are some other options for safety testing? Static load isn't terribly hard (basically load it up with weight or a hydraulic press) but dynamic I'm not sure of... I mounted one bar to a pullup bar and did pullups on it... but that seemed rather crude... is there a rough guideline of "if it handles this much static it can handle xxx dynamic?"
Static vs dynamic loads are going to be dependant on material. Handlebars don't really see a true dynamic load. Dynamic load is usually used to refer to shock loading, vs static being a fairly constant load. The only time that a handlebar would see any true dynamic load is in a crash. Otherwise the forces being exerted on a handlebar basically change in a pretty uniform and constant manner. Us humans aren't capable of creating a true dynamic or shock loading on something without introducing slack and momentum into the equation, which is something that doesn't happen if your hands are already on the bars.
​​​​​
i would maybe focus testing on cycles and fatigue limits.
Likes For taras0000: