View Single Post
Old 03-15-08, 12:54 PM
wolfpack 
Rawwrrrrrrrrr!

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Ruby Sworks SL w/SRAM Red; 2006 Fuji Team RC; 2008 Felt F1x; 1980's Lotus Excelle; Mangusta FG/SS; Rossin (yet to be built up)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Yep. Another ride today. cnickgo was in town (spring break at ASU) and I invited him over to ride the flat roads around Clayton.

Brief ride report:
When I got to the start, there were some people already there...locally known as 'The Hammers'. They have this name for a reason...they drope the hamer big time! Anyways, I had a 52mi route planned for us to ride, but we both decided to ride with these guys for a while. They were going to do either 40 or 65mi. We opted to try and hang with the 65mi group.

Pace was fast from the get-go...22-23mph avg. Holy Cow! We lasted for 11 miles. After our turn at pulling, cnickgo dropped off and I stayed back with him, letting the group go. We rode on another 4-5mi to the first place for a stop. cnickgo didn't look too good. He was having a bit of trouble with the legs. Brief stop and we head on out...end up in Princeton and I am now beyond my knowledge of the roads/routes. So, we sorta get lost, but not really. I know the general direction to take to get us back and eventually would come upon a road/area that I was familiar with.

By now, every now and then when we hit a slight grade, I hear the groans start and cnickgo falls off my wheel. I keep asking him if he's ok. 'Yea, but my legs are about done'. 'Want me to call SAG? Nah, not yet'. But, after a couple of stops for some stretching and more groaning, I ask again if he wants to call SAG. He gives in...

We have to make it to somewhere that I can make sure SAG can find, so we continue to ride, very easily, until we get to Pine Level. Too bad his legs were shot...I know where I'm at now and could get us back to the car, but it is just too far for cnickgo to ride. His legs are shot and the last thing I want to do is get him hurt. Been there done that. We wait here for SAG, which eventually arrives, we load up and get a lift back to our cars.

The Hammers have arrived back when we get there and we talk a bit to them then say our good-byes. I wanted to get in another hour or so of riding, so I headed out to do a short 20-25mi ride. But, it started raining on me and I was cold, so I turned around after about 3mi.

Ended up with 40mi, 17avg. It was a really beautiful day today.