Old 04-03-17, 10:57 AM
revcp 

Bikes: 2017 Salsa Carbon Mukluk frame built with XT, 2018 Kona Rove NRB build with Sram Apex 1,2008 Salsa El Mariachi, 1986 Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk
Does anyone here use a generic shell as a raincoat, instead of a cycling specific one, for touring? I'm looking to replace my cycling jacket, which works well at keeping out rain but not breathing. I really don't mind getting wet when it is warm, so really it only gets used below 70ish.

As it is only a colder weather thing, I was looking at a more generic rain shell that I can layer clothing under, and that can be used off the bike. Are there any drawbacks that I haven't thought about to using a shell over a cycle specific jacket? Thus far, I have:

- Harder to find in "visible" colors than cycle specific jackets (shells seem to come in drab, natural color)
- Not as form fitting, catches wind easier than a cycle specific
- Doesn't pack down as easy, not as great to carry "in case" in areas where rain isn't exected

Just curious what the real value in going with something like a Showers Pass over a standard HH/Marmot/Patagonia/North Face/etc. is.

This is for a trip where I can reasonably expect rain/wind every day with temps in the 50s, not strictly carried "in case"
A brand I've grown to like a lot is Rab, out of England. Their alpine gear is cut similarly to a cycling jacket, longer cuffs and ass coverage. Ice climbers need this because they need coverage even as they are reaching and extending. Like anything of the sort, you can find deals. Sierra Trading Post often has Rab gear at low prices. Also, if you live in a larger city it's worthwhile to see whether you have an outdoor gear group in Facebook. I got an excellent condition Rab Latok Alpine Jacket (a $400 jacket) for $50. Some people just have to upgrade to the newest, so scavenging can work to your benefit. You can fine a lot of reds (what mine is) and bright blues. Not many neon green.