Old 04-03-17, 12:05 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3462 Post(s)
Liked 1,468 Times in 1,145 Posts
I started thinking about the times when I had to ride in heavy traffic and I did not like the dark red color of my Precip, and with that 20 percent coupon that orange one is roughly 45 percent off. So, I just ordered the orange one even though I already have a dark red one.

If I did not like it, I would not have ordered another.

That said, you will get damp when you are cycling in the rain, either from rain or from sweat. I commented above about the pit zips for ventilation. I think that dampness that I have felt is virtually all just sweat, not water coming in through the fabric. I can't think of any time when I was exerting myself in the rain in a rain jacket and felt completely dry.

Cycle touring when there is a chance that the weather could get down to freezing, but it might also be warm enough that I want short sleeve jersey, my list for upper body outerwere will also include:
- A Canari brand wind breaker that I can zip the sleeves off and use as a vest, high vis color, very breathable.
- A Serfas brand long sleeve jersey that is thicker than most jerseys, thus it has some insulating value and it has a full length zipper so I wear it as a jacket over my jersey.
- An orange polartec vest, not a cycling one but normal outdoor wear type vest, Eddie Bauer.
- Yellow down vest.
- And the Precip.

I am careful to try to layer my outerwear so I am just right for the temperature and wind. The above mix of layers works perfect for me and I do not get unduly wet.

That said, if it starts really pouring, I will pull off the road and might put the hood over my head. The seal around the neck is not good enough to keep me totally dry with the hood down in a pouring rain. But only my kayaking drysuit or my waterproof kayaking jacket have that good of a neck seal. None of my other rain jackets are that good.

I usually strap my rain jacket on top of one FrontRoller pannier and my rain pants and overshoes on top of the other Frontroller pannier. That way it is close at hand when I want it, I do not need to dig into a pannier.

Can I tell you if you will get damp or not? No. But I like the jacket.