Old 04-03-17, 08:41 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Thanks all for the advice. I stopped and checked out the Precips, they just aren't different enough (from a visual inspection) to what I have now to justify buying. They didn't have any Stratos in my size (or that even zipped over my belly....), I have to check another location on Wednesday, but I'll agree with Doug that the difference in quality is very noticeable from the smalls they had in stock. Also, the hi-viz greens are now on clearance too, they weren't a few weeks ago when I first notice the coats. For what would end up being a $25 difference I'd rather go that direction, but I need to try them on, in my experience REI cuts arms way long for my body. Long sleeve shirts and jerseys are one thing to just bunch up around the arm, a stiff coat arm may be another.

That said, the cute redhead assisting me, who just came back from her own Iceland adventure, also may have set my mind on a three layer, nice shell

Originally Posted by noglider
Right. Nothing is perfect. But in sustained heavy rain, I'm going to get soaked, whether I wear something breathable, non-breathable, or nothing at all. The question is not how to stay dry, it's how to stay comfortable while wet.
I agree in general in the summer. Above 70 or so, I really don't mind the rain, and eschew any raincoats. About the only part of my body I don't like wet in any temps is my feet. Just can't apply the same logic to camping in backcountry away from any amenities as I would on a day ride around home, though.