Old 10-15-21, 02:00 PM
nilser

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Mayer
In my part of the world, having a pro shop work for an 'entire day' on a set of shifters would have cost you more than $500. I assume that they did the standard WD-40 flush, and replaced all of the cables and housings, which should have consumed the first hour. If that didn't work, then it is time to move onto a new set of shifters.

I have bikes with Shimano STI, SRAM and (several) with Campagnolo Ergopower. The key drivetrain components are completely incompatible with each other. The wheels are mostly incompatible.
I believe the mechanic started with that, then tried to do some magic with the springs inside. He said it would be better for a while but that it was not fixable. It was better, It didn;t last. The cost wasn't 500, but it wasn't cheap either. The re-kitting of the bike is my idea, not the bike shop's.

But regarding compatibility, i was under the impression that SRAM 10-speed and Shimano 10-speed use the same chain, chainrings, etc. Is this not so?

So if i find an SRAM 10-speed shifter and derailleur set (Red or Apex or whatever) i would besically rekit my bike with a high-end group with minimal hassle. And for a reasonable 1000-ish euro for the RED, half that for the Apex.

Are the Tiagra or the Microshift any good? I've never heard of Microshift before. It's an interesting option.