Old 08-07-22, 07:43 PM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,328 Times in 784 Posts
Originally Posted by branko_76
I am building a set of wheels for a late 70's Raleigh Super Grand Prix using all Japanese components. The only Made In Japan hubs I have are some old SUZUE hubs, the rear of which has a solid bolt-on axle.

I thought to swap the axle with one from a mutilated Normandy hub but the QR axle is slightly larger in diameter than the solid axle.

[snip]

So, can I use the Normandy axle and cones with the Suzue hub
Rear QR axles are 10mm, solid are 9.5.

Using a different set of axle+cones in the same hub will likely work, but there are three possible issues:

a) the cone may not fit in the dust-cap - can be too big (won't go at all) or too small (lets grit in);
b) the axle and cones may not fit the frame - in which case you may have to shorten the axle or remove/add spacers; and
c) hub cones and cups are ground[1] to specific curvatures and dimensions such that the line between the two points of contact is at an angle that best supports the expected combination of radial and thrust loads; substitute a cone with a slightly different curve and the angle may change considerably.

[1] Well, not all of them are ground, your Normandy ones are not, they are nasty stamped-and-case-hardened bits of cheap steel. Check them carefully, if unpitted and adjusted correctly (a *tiny* amount of loose play to be taken up when the qr tightens) you can get some use out of them. I bet the Suzue ones are better.
Likes For oneclick: