Thread: Max tire width
View Single Post
Old 02-21-22, 12:56 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2339 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,545 Posts
Originally Posted by hbsyncro
I need new tires and I want to get a set of Conti GP 5000 28s and I am pretty sure they will fit in my 91 Basso Paris Roubaix, but I thought I would ask here first. What is the widest tire people have fit into their vintage frames?

The Basso has Mavic Open 4 CDs and I currently have a Conti Gatorskin 25 on there no problem. It measures 23.8 on that wheel. I have 28 Gator Hardshells on another more modern bike and they measure 27.2. Seems like the 28s would fit on the Basso. I guess I could put the 28 on the Mavic wheel and see, but I am too lazy. Plus I need to ride that bike in the morning and I am over wrenching for the day. Also I am not sure if the GP 5000 have a different profile than the gator. Frame measures 32.9 at the narrowest part of the chain stay. What do ya think?
it will vary widely depending on the specific frame. FWIW my gp 5000 28 measure out at 28 on mavic open pro rims and fit my 85 team miyata easily (do have to deflate to get by brakes)