Old 10-22-21, 06:56 PM
grolby

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by samhande
New sidewalls are very stiff. That is why tires "plump-up" a few mm after a day or so. Riding the tires allow the tires to reach there final size more quickly by stressing the sidewalls. Once the tires have reached there final width, they will be noticeably more compliant. This seems to happen more with gravel tires than road, and more with tires with anti-puncture material.

I would suggest one ride over 20 miles and waiting 48 hours to break-in. I have not found that higher pressure in the tire matters (other than ensuring the sealant is absorbed). Your second ride will be more comfortable and you'll likely have more handling control. My 50mm Panaracer GravelKing SKs went from 47 to 49mm in 48 hours. My first 40 mile gravel ride with my new tires, when they were 24 hours old, was jarring. I definitely had buyers remorse. The second ride was much better, and it descends like a hardtail mtb!
I've been riding bikes for a while. I've also been on the Internet of Bike for a while, for better and worse. I'll be generous and just say a) I've never heard of this before, and b) this 100% flies in the face of all my experience. Tires can slightly expand from when they're first mounted, but generally by very small amounts if they do at all which most do not. The ride quality bit is just nonsense. Completely imaginary. Not a thing.
Likes For grolby: