Old 12-08-22, 12:00 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4400 Post(s)
Liked 4,848 Times in 3,000 Posts
Originally Posted by Jerry1957
I have come away with the belief that measuring saddle height is subjective. Example: if I measure to the middle of the saddle from the BB where I know how one of my friends does it, he gets a particular reading, but if he measures from the BB to where the sit bones might be which is more to the rear of the saddle around the widest portion, he gets a different reading because as you know, its a longer distance. Riders or bike fitters choose their way of measuring to what particular section of the saddle they are targeting.

When I had my bike fit, he told me my saddle height was 74.6 cm, I asked him what area of the saddle was he targeting to get that number and he replied to on the top of the saddle above where the saddle rail clamps are and he pointed to the area of the saddle where he eyeballed it with a tape measurer. I asked him because I wanted to use his reference points as a way to replicate it to my other bicycle. I know a guy who doesn't involve the saddle at all, he does the heel to pedal method, marks a point on the seat post from the bottom bracket and makes his adjustments up or down by making marks on the seat post. Any saddle movement fore and aft is simply where he wants his knees to fall in relation to the pedal spindle and tilt for his comfort.
The only important thing with saddle height measurement is consistency. Whatever method you use just has to be repeatable.
Likes For PeteHski: