Old 01-27-23, 12:04 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
No, switching to tubeless will not prevent a heat-related blow off.

Heat does not cause tubes to fail. Heat causes tire blow offs.

Heat:
  • increases the temperature of the pressurized air
  • increases the internal pressure of the tire
If the internal pressure exceeds the rated pressure for the tire, the tire's bead will blow off the hook of the rim.

What can you do?
  1. lower your tire pressure (good bet that you're already running too high a pressure, see this Silca tire pressure calculator)
  2. install wider tires, if your frame will accommodate them
  3. learn how to brake better (coast, coast, coast, brake, coast, coast coast)
  4. get a bike with disc brakes
Good explanation, thank you.

My disc-brake endurance bike just got the prime spot in the bike quiver and the rim brake road bike will only come out on perfectly flat routes. The Endurance bike was already the most versatile bike in the quiver, It's now the bike for any routes that aren't perfectly flat.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 01-27-23 at 12:09 PM.