View Single Post
Old 08-05-22, 12:45 AM
Positron400

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked 223 Times in 118 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac
Well it can still be labor intensive but when you find the right stuff that clicks with your style of work, it can really be an "ah ha" moment and from then on you can get right to it for better faster results. Turtle wax chrome polish and rust remover can work wonders as well, may not be available where you are but should be online. Not for paint but great on chrome and can help with other metals as well, add scotchbrite for more aggressive metal cleaning, start off easy and lean in as it goes well.
Yep, I went and ordered some Turtle Wax heavy duty rubbing compound, and the scuffing came right off (with some serious scrubbing and polishing)

Originally Posted by Soody
GRX is just hollowtech II right? If you have a 73mm shell you can run road cranks with a 73mm 'mtb' hollowtech bb like deore bb52.
The 73mm hollowtech bbs are 5mm narrower than the 68 road ones. The size ends up being the same if you don't use the included spacers.

It's all compatible as long as it's right for your chainline.
Yea, I should have clarified - GRX is indeed hollowtech II, but uniformed me, was expecting the spindle to be "just right the right length", (because why not - it's just a crankset like all others ). I didnt take into account the 73 mm width of the bb shell, which is too wide for the GRX crankset to properly fit. I went and ordered a deore 36/26 which should work. I wasnt planning on going that low with gearing, but it should make climbing on "trails" easier. Now I just have to cross my fingers, that my GRX FD will work with the deore crankset (which I am afraid might not, but friction shifting might get around that hopefully..)

Lesson learned, I guess