Thread: FD won't shift
View Single Post
Old 11-23-22, 10:09 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4210 Post(s)
Liked 3,878 Times in 2,315 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
My Cannondale Synapse has a (proprietary) BB30a bottom bracket which is not centered on the center line of the bike frame. Are other bottom brackets necessarily centered? It seems theoretically possible to offset the bottom bracket to the left (or non-drive side) to make room for chain rings but still have a spindle that is centered. An unequal number of spacers on either side of the bottom bracket does not necessarily mean that the spindle is not centered. What matters is that both pedals are equidistant from the center line of the bike frame, right?
I don't care too much about the BB's being centered as it's the rings and crank arms that my body interfaces with. The BB only get those parts where the rest of the bike and my body can deal with them. I recently had one of my Phil BBs rebuilt (old/worn bearings) with a 1.5mm axle off set to better balance the BB shell and BB unit centering and retain the ring/chain stay clearances.

Some of us are especially sensitive fitting issues. If a hip continues to be problematic find the fix (which likely what's happening right now), even if it means a different set up. Fitting solutions are not easily done via long distance. Andy