Old 09-24-22, 10:55 AM
Charles Wahl
Disraeli Gears

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by dddd
The shouldered "cone" on these hubs does not rely on press-fit, it slips free of the bearing unless corrosion has crept in.

One needs to verify their bearing adjustment using thick washers or loose dropouts which are fitted to the axle before the QR lever is secured.
Otherwise, the adjustment will likely tighten too much when the wheel is installed, to the detriment of your bearings!
I'm not absolutely certain, but I think what you're saying is "cartridge bearings side play adjustment is important, just as it is for cup-cone bearings; the axle compression induced by using a QR is part of that side play (just as the more minor axle lengthening affects the side play when using solid axles with nuts)" -- correct?
I typically use QR adjustment as the final part of bearing adjustment on my cup-cone hubbed bikes:
a) Adjust as best I can, with just the slightest amount of perceptible side play (in multiple locations around the rotation of the wheel; then
b) adjust the QR so that it just takes this play out, while being "tight enough" -- If not tight enough, then back to a).

Last edited by Charles Wahl; 09-24-22 at 12:49 PM.