Old 07-11-16, 08:53 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
If I were touring on a LHT fully loaded but blood doping would you say I was not touring? You might say you do not see the point in doing it yourself (valid) but who is to say what is "legit" or not? Those sort of rules exist in the TdF because it is a competition in which the field is supposed to be level so physical prowess is the determining factor while bicycle touring is just an amorphous marginal hobby or a mode of holiday transportation for most. I see the distinction between loaded vs CC/supported touring to be greater than manual vs power assist loaded touring as far as discussion points on a forum goes.

I have a pretty good conventional touring set up compared to a young guy setting out on a department store bike with a packsack full of gear so could he say I was not "really touring"? I am, after all, using equipment to increase the ease and comfort of travel just as my granny gear helps more than a double. Could I say the guy using a sub 20lb CF road bike is not really touring because I tough it out with a 30lb bike? His choice of equipment does give him an advantage over me...

except neither has an advantage because we are not competing with each other. We are separate entities doing our own thing.

I remember a discussion about what toolset to bring on tour and one CC member suggesting none at all. If they had a failure (rare in their books) they would just call a cab on their cell phone. Valid from their perspective but of no practical purpose for someone doing a self supported tour. Someone on an E bike doing a self supported tour may have a few different tools but, in general, will face the same decision making challenges a person doing a manual self supported tour would. Even more so with kitchen and sleeping decisions.

I would encourage anyone willing to invest in self supported E bike touring as an exploration of adaptation of technology. It hurts no one and could open a new avenue of pollution free, low impact travel for those who might otherwise only choose fossil fuel alternatives. Where else will they learn/discuss how to adapt their form of bicycle to touring mode other than on a bicycle touring forum.

Last edited by Happy Feet; 07-11-16 at 08:59 AM.