View Single Post
Old 01-09-18, 05:08 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts
I drive an All Wheel Drive Subaru Outback, which I think of as a station wagon. Nearly identical looking cars are now sold as Crossover SUVs. I'm sure there is some car industry definition and I could probably modify my station wagon to fit the definition of Crossover SUV but I just needed a car to carry stuff that would be capable of handling well on snowy and wet roads.

I drove a few and bought the one I liked - didn't really matter what it was called. That's pretty much what I've done over the years with bikes! With so many choices, not much need to modify one bike to look like another bike called something different.

So, after 20 years of riding a Trek 520 touring bike (called that because it had loads of braze-ons and came with a rear rack standard) I realized I wasn't doing much loaded touring anymore - mostly long local rides (apparently now called sportives or Gran Fondos)with the occasional credit card touring type multi-day ride (now called bikepacking.) I decided I wanted a lighter bike with a more upright position but keeping the ability to run 32mm tires and ride on crushed limestone/gravel rail trails as part of the mix. Rode a bunch of bikes, ended up with a Trek Domane - turns out I can call it an endurance bike, who knew?