View Single Post
Old 02-17-20, 09:05 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,961 Times in 4,687 Posts
Originally Posted by sweetspot
I currently ride on a steel bike and although it is very comfy it seriously lacks in terms of power transfer (too much flex when pedaling hard, especially from standstill). So now I look for a new bike that will offer a comfy ride but at the same time much better power transfer. Of course the obvious choice is a carbon frame but I wonder if titanium is also a good solution. Is it any better than steel in terms of power transfer or it will also flex a lot? What is your experience, especially compared to other steel and carbon bikes?
My recollection of physics (Laws of Thermodynamics) suggests that the power can't just disappear - it must go somewhere. And since your bike frame doesn't generate heat (which is how a lightbulb wastes energy, for example), I don't think that frame flex, if it exists, is robbing you of much power and acceleration.

Now, if you just want to spend money on a new bike, knock yourself out. If you want maximum stiffness, though, you should probably be looking at carbon fiber frames.