View Single Post
Old 04-01-18, 10:19 PM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by ChiefTJS
.............Anything specific that I should be looking for in a bike with an eye towards future upgrades. .............
From the above you should all easily gather that I am by no means a mechanic or even mechanically inclined. I'm just a guy with limited resources, trying to get a bike that suits him. Thanks for any input at all.
Originally Posted by BeginnersMind
Start with a lovely, future-proof frame. Just ensure that you are getting a frame with standard modern sizing (e.g. modern brake caliper clearance, 130mm rear dropout spacing, etc.), and you will certainly have plenty of runway to upgrade over time. At that point, your only issue is internal parts compatibility; your frame, the "core" of your build, is not going to hold you back.

To throw out a personal favorite, consider a Cannondale CAAD9 with a standard English threaded bottom bracket. Exceptional performance, easy maintenance, overall compatibility with modern components, reasonable cost on the used market.
I'm going to tack on to this as pretty good advice. From what I can see, you (OP) doesn't already have a bike, right?

Get the Nicest Bike You Can Afford. If your budget only affords a new Tourney bike from Target, or a 12-y/o Ultegra bike from CL, get the older high-end bike (provided it's not too thrashed). Allow that you may need to budget for tires/grips/cables on a used bike. Since you have access to a co-op, doing some of these simple service items shouldn't be a budget-breaker.
The older, high-end bike will give you a better 'future-proof' platform that will get more 'bang' out of upgrades to 'modern' stuff; see the 'Retro Roadies' thread in Classic&Vintage for ideas of how far you can go with even older bikes.